Best of Region Trophy and 7 Golds for Fogarty Wine Group in the Halliday Chardonnay & Cabernet Challenge 2022
We are beyond excited that the Deep Woods 2021 Reserve Chardonnay has won Best of Region for Margaret River in this year’s James Halliday Australian Chardonnay & Cabernet Challenge, beating 114 other Margaret River Chardonnay wines.
To win the best Chardonnay in Margaret River, a region that (in our humble opinion) produces the best Chardonnay in the world, is a feat not lost on us. Awarded 97 Points, this was the second highest rated Chardonnay of the competition, coming runner-up for the overall Chardonnay Trophy.
On this epic result, Deep Woods Estate Chief Winemaker Julian Langworthy said, “The James Halliday Chardonnay Challenge is one of the best, most competitive wine competitions in Australia and we are stoked to take out the Regional Trophy beating out the best and brightest Margaret River has to offer!”
On top of winning this Best of Region Trophy, Fogarty Wine Group also took home seven Gold Medals and seven Silver Medals across Deep Woods Estate, Evans & Tate and Lowestoft.
The James Halliday Australian Chardonnay & Cabernet Challenge is a celebration of Australia’s outstanding regional diversity and for these wines to come out on top is an incredible achievement. This year’s competition saw 646 Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon entries submitted across 66 Australian wine regions, with 31 regions represented for Chardonnay and 22 regions represented for Cabernet Sauvignon.
We are extremely proud of Deep Woods Estate Chief Winemaker Julian Langworthy, Evans & Tate Senior Winemaker Matt Bryne and Lowestoft Chief Winemaker Liam McElhinney on these fantastic results.
A huge congratulations to all of the regional winners across Australia.
- 2021 Deep Woods Reserve Chardonnay – Best of Region (Margaret River)
- 2021 Deep Woods Reserve Chardonnay (Top Gold)
- 2021 Deep Woods Single Vineyard Chardonnay
- 2020 Deep Woods Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2020 Deep Woods Single Vineyard G2 Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2020 Evans & Tate Redbrook Reserve Chardonnay
- 2019 Evans & Tate Redbrook Reserve Chardonnay
- 2019 Evans & Tate Single Vineyard Chardonnay
- 2021 Lowestoft Estate Chardonnay
- 2020 Deep Woods Reserve Chardonnay
- 2020 Deep Woods Hillside Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2019 Evans & Tate Redbrook Estate Chardonnay
- 2020 Evans & Tate Wild Cape Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2019 Evans & Tate Redbrook Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2018 Evans & Tate Redbrook Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
The Deep Woods Estate 2021 Reserve Chardonnay is yet to be released; however, this 97-point wine will be available to members from 1 October and to the public from 1 November. In the meantime, we have a few remaining six-packs of the Deep Woods Estate 2020 Reserve Chardonnay. This wine has won 8 Gold Medals, including regularly scoring 97 and 98 points with reviewers such as Nick Stock of Gourmet Traveller and James Halliday of the Halliday Wine Companion. This is consistently one of our most awarded and highly scored wines, selling out vintage after vintage.
Be sure to sign up as a FWG member here and keep an eye out on your emails for the release of these award-winning wines!